July 3, 2010

Life: Getting to Know What he Loves

Since June 11th of this year all you hear in our apartment is the loud bee like sound of the bubuzuelas or what looks like a plastic trumpet.  We are coming towards the end of the World Cup and the excitement in the air grows greater with each passing game.  I was never much of a "soccer" fan but I think that's because I was never educated on how the sport was actually played.  I realized before the World Cup actually began that either I was going to get annoyed with my hubby for constantly watching the games or I could enjoy them along with him.  I chose the latter and this year I told my hubby that if he wanted me to stay engaged in the game then he should spend the time trying to teach me about it so that I can follow along.   Since some of you might be in the same predicament that I was in I have decided to share the knowledge I have gained through watching countless games since it began this year.  I haven't learned everything by any means since this is my first time actually following the World Cup.  What I can say is that learning about the game has prevented several fights from ensuing in my household.


  • The World Cup is held every 4 years and different countries host it.
    • 2014 Brazil
  • It is a month long event.
  • There can be ties in the first round since it is based on a point system
    • There is a mathematical equation that is used to determine who is the winner of the first round the amount of points that is given in ties, wins, and losses. 
      • 3 points for a win
      • 1 point for a tie
      • 0 for a loss
  •  You cannot have a tie the rest of the game.
    • If a tie occurs somewhere besides the first round then they first go to overtime.
      • About 30 minutes all together.
    • If it's still tied after overtime then it goes to penalty. 
      • In penalties each team gets five free kicks and who ever gets the best out of that wins the game.
      • If they are still tied after that then each team shots one penalty until somebody wins.
  • The first round has 32 teams.
  • The second has 16 teams.
  • The quarterfinals has 8 teams.
  • The semifinals have 4 teams.
  • The finals have 2 teams.
  • Where it gets tricky in the manner in which teams are paired up in the second round.  Once you understand that the teams are linked up with a lesser team then the rest is clear.  What I mean is that the 32 teams were divided into 8 groups of 4 each.  
    • Each of the 8 groups has a first and second place winner.
    • The first place winner plays the second place winner of another group and vice versa.
      • For example: Group A #1 plays Group B #2 and Group A #2 plays Group B #
That is pretty much the format of the World Cup.  I won't continue to bore you with more details since someone could easily go on speaking on the subject matter for a few more posts.  If you want more information visit hereherehere or simply Google it.

One thing that I would like to mention is that in the rest of the world "soccer" is known as futbol and it really is a huge thing unlike here in the U.S.  If you want to join the campaign to bring the world cup to the U.S. please sign the petition here.

I hope I simplified futbol enough for you to enjoy watching a game with someone you know that loves the game.  I really appreciate the hubby for teaching me about the game.  On a small side note my mommy is now a futbol convert after my hubby took the time to tell her how it works and no way in a million years would I have imagined this to be possible.

Do you have anything to add to this list?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...