March 27, 2010

Sweets: Chocolate Chip Cookies

Once a month I try to bake something for my hubby and his co-workers especially on those days when I know they have a deadline. I'm all about rewarding their hard work.  I realized last year that if I was going to be sending baked goods to work with my hubby it needed to be something that required little effort for him to distribute.  I decided that cupcakes and cookies work better in an office setting since they don't require plates, silverware, or any cutting.


My hubby's favorite cookies are chocolate chip so this week I made him a batch from a new recipe I found.  My hubby loves my default recipe but I'm still on a quest for the perfect chocolate chip cookie so I'm try new ones.  Along with the perfect recipe I'm also reading up on different techniques that might help my cookie overall.  I have found out that letting the batter rest at least 24 hours before you bake it helps to create a chewier cookie.


Here is the recipe I used:
Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies
INGREDIENTS
1 3/4cups unbleached all-purpose flour (8 3/4 ounces)
1/2teaspoon baking soda
14tablespoons unsalted butter (1 3/4 sticks)
1/2cup granulated sugar (3 1/2 ounces)
3/4cups packed dark brown sugar (5 1/4 ounces) 
1teaspoon table salt
2teaspoons vanilla extract
1large egg
1large egg yolk
1 1/4cups semisweet chocolate chips or chunks (I used a mixture of milk, white, and semisweet chocolate chips)
3/4cup chopped pecan or walnuts, toasted (optional) (I didn't use the nuts)

INSTRUCTIONS



  1. 1. Place the rack in the center of the oven and preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.  Whisk flour and baking soda together in a bowl and put it  aside for later.


  2. 2. Heat 10 out of the 14 tablespoons of butter in a skillet over medium-high heat until its melted. Stir the butter with a wooden spoon constantly until butter is dark golden brown but don't burn it.  Take the skillet off the stove and pour butter into a heatproof bowl. Stir the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter into the hot butter until completely melted.


  3. 3. Add both sugars, salt, and vanilla to bowl with butter and whisk until completely mixed. Add egg and yolk one at a time whisk until mixture is smooth with no lumps.  Let mixture stand 3 minutes, then whisk for 30 seconds. Repeat process of resting and whisking 2 more times until mixture is thick, smooth, and shiny. (I know it sounds lame but seriously make sure you give the batter time to rest.)  Stir in flour mixture for about a minute until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts (if using) but don't over mix.


  4. 4. Cover batter and let it rest for at least 24 hours in the refrigerator.


    5. Spoon out about 3 inch balls unto cookie trays and bake 1 tray at a time for about 10-12 minutes.  I baked mine for 10 minutes and turned the tray 1/2 way through the baking process.  Bake until the cookies are golden brown and still partly soft in the middle.


    6.  Let them cool before serving but not completely because they are yummier warm.  Share with a loved one and with a nice cold glass of milk.


    Adapted from Cooks Illustrated.


    This recipe came out great and the cookies themselves came out perfectly.  The consistency of the cookies were a tad crunchy on the outside and chewy in the inside.   My hubby's co-workers devoured the cookies and were asking for more.  I suggest you take a look at the original recipe because they give you great tips on how to make the perfect cookie.


    What's your favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe?    
Pin It

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Mmm... I love a good chocolate chip cookie. I may just go take some butter out of the fridge now! *lol*

I blogged my fav recipe a while back, and you can easily ommit the lavender from it:http://designedbyrj.blogspot.com/2009/03/nom-nom-chocolate-chip-cookies-with.html

Unknown said...

Mmm... I love a good chocolate chip cookie! I may just have to go take some butter out of the fridge now! *lol*

I blogged my favorite a while back, you can easily ommit the lavender for regular choc chip cookies: http://designedbyrj.blogspot.com/2009/03/nom-nom-chocolate-chip-cookies-with.html

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...