April 8, 2010

Money: On sacrificing

You might be wondering why I mean by sacrificing and you'll understand it by the time I'm finished with this post.

As soon as I got engaged I began to plan (in my head) what I thought would be the perfect wedding. I began to dream about the cathedral veil, what cake flavors would be served and the flowers that I would see as I walked into the church.  With all the dreaming going on in my head I never gave much thought to what it was actually going to cost to accomplish all this.    My parents are of very modest means and could not help us in any way.  My in-laws are in a better situation than my parents but we couldn't see ourselves asking them to finance our wedding either.  I hated the idea of asking any of my family members for money for our wedding like most of my cousins have done in the past.  There was no way I was going to have sponsors or padrinos for our wedding no matter how much my mom told me that they would help me.  If I couldn't afford it then I felt that we didn't need it.  Okay, the truth is that I didn't realize that until much later when I became more financially savvy and put things into perspective. 

So why am I rambling on and when I'm I getting to the point? 

I'm rambling on because I want you to know that the hubby and I do not come from families that are financially well off but have worked hard for everything we have.  

The point is that if you really want to get your finances in order then you should be willing to do the work it takes to do it.  I'm just so tired of hearing people complaint that they don't have the money to do things as they are sipping their cafe mocha from a fancy coffee shop and carrying their designer purse.  Come on people get it together.

I'm not asking people to be as frugal as us but simply to either stop complaining or do something about it.  It's not about the amount of money you make but how much you are able to save.  People just need to be smarter about how they use their money and what they are willing to give up and sacrifice in order to achieve their goals.  

Looking back on the planning process one thing that I will never forget that my hubby told me as we were going back and forth about the wedding budget was, "If wedding are so important for women then why don't they start saving up for it since they begin dreaming about them."  When my hubby said this to me it floored me.  I began to think about it and I realized that as I sat there planning my perfect wedding I never took the cost into consideration something which I think we as women should start doing.   

Oh and by the way I didn't have a cathedral veil, cake or flowers in the entrance of the church but what I do have is more money in the bank and a loving husband by my side. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...