August 23, 2010

Life: On Growing Up (Pt. 2)

If you previously read my post you learned that I'm no longer following my childhood dreams.  As I've grown older I have developed other dreams that have nothing to do with what I thought I previously wanted.  Growing up I always thought having a career was far more important than having a family and settling down.  The ideas I entertained as a child revolved around being a successful attorney at a large corporation (in their pro bono division), having a fancy house, a few cars, money in the bank, and I would traveling the world.  As I've grown older I realized that those dreams do not coincide with the type of individual I have become.



I have finally realized I was chasing after a dream for all the wrong reasons.  I wanted to be an attorney to help people and I believed that learning law was the only way I could accomplish it.  I now realize that I can give more of myself to others by being being true to myself.  I'm glad that I figured out that I don't want to go to law school before I went into debt for it and joined the hundreds of
bitter attorneys out in the world.  The childhood ideas I entertained are now partially relevant to the goals and dreams that I have but in a smaller scale.  I no longer want a fancy house but a simple one with a back yard where I can grow a garden.  I'm perfectly content with only having one car and I'm glad that we are fortunate enough to have some money saved up.  I haven't traveled the world yet but we are working towards that.

Now that I'm all grown up I finally know what I want to be and I couldn't be happier.  I want to help people and I will continue to do so for as long as I can.  For those that might be curious I am not currently "working" but I do put my time to good use.  I'm a full time housewife, an entrepreneur, and a part time volunteer at a couple of worth while causes.   



What do you want to be when you grow up?


Pin It

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...