September 16, 2010

Sweets: Strawberry & Cream Cake

Last May I was fortunate enough to have my mama visiting for Mother's Day.  I had never made my mama a cake before so I really wanted to impress her.  Since she isn't fond of chocolate I opted for a strawberry one instead.  

Strawberry & Cream Cheese Cake


1.) Cake adapted from Billy Vanilla, Vanilla Cupcakes

Ingredients
  • 1 3/4 cups cake flour, not self-rising
  • 1 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 2 tablespoon baking powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch cubes
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1 cup whole milk
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Instructions
  • Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
  • Grease 9x2 pan with cake releaser and set aside.
  • Mix dry ingredients with butter on low speed in medium bowl.
  • Whisk together wet ingredients in separate bowl.
  • Mix dry and wet ingredients together in 3 parts on medium speed.
  • Scrape sides of bowl and continue mixing without over beating.
  • Pour batter into pan.
  • Bake for about 30 minutes. (Oven times vary)
Here's a video that might help you out. 

I made two batches of this recipe and made two cakes, which I split into 4 layers once it was cooled.  I used a leveler to make straight cuts.   Set aside to cool.


2.) Filling adapted from Cupcake Project

The Cooks Illustrated recipe asked for a strawberry filling that looked well but it wasn't what I was dreaming of for this specific cake.  I've used that recipe for this cheesecake but for this cake I opted for this recipe.

Ingredients
  • 1 cup whipping cream (Heavy Cream)
  • 1/3 cup of sugar
  • 4 Tbls of processed strawberries (Washed them, take the stems off and blended them.)
Instructions
  • Whip heavy cream.
  • Add sugar to whipped cream.
  • Mix in strawberries into whipped cream until it's combined.
3.) Frosting adapted from Cooks Illustrated

I finally decided that I need to use something from the original recipe.  A cream cheese frosting is exactly what this cake needed.

Ingredients
  • 8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
  • 1/2 cup of sugar
  • 1 tsp of vanilla extract
  • 1/8 tsp of salt
  • 2 cups of heavy cream
Instructions
  • Whisk together cream cheese, sugar, vanilla, and salt in a medium bowl until light and fluffy.  
  • Slowly mix in heavy cream into mixture and slowly increase speed to medium-high until stiff peaks begin to form.  
  • It should make about 4 1/2 cups.  
4.) Put cake together
  • Take 1st layer of cake and put enough filling on top to cover the cake without going over the sides.
  • Repeat step 2 more times.
  • Frost cake with a crumb coat first.
5.) Decorate cake
  • Once the crumb coat is set frost the entire cake.
  • Even out the frosting with a long knife.
  • Place shredded almonds on bottom part of cake.
  • Cut strawberries into halves and place all around the top of cake.
  • Cut strawberries into roses and place around the serving tray.
My mom loved her cake very much and I loved that she was proud of my baking abilities.  This cake is not overwhelmingly sweet and the effort to make it is well worth it.  

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...