September 11, 2011

Sweets: Red Velvet Gooey Butter Cookies

About a month ago I had a red velvet cake box sitting in the pantry but I wasn't really craving cake or cupcakes.  After doing a quick google search I found this recipe from the lovely Paula Deen and since I had everything on hand away I went.


Instead of using chocolate cake mix like Paula did I used the red velvet cake mix I had at hand.   Let me just tell you that my co-workers and neighbors loved them and keep requesting them.

Recipe adapted from Paula Deen
Ingredients:


1 box of cake mix
1 (8 oz) block of cream cheese at room temperature
1 egg
1 stick of butter at room temperature
1 tsp of vanilla 
Confectioners sugar for dusting


Directions:


In a large bowl with an electric mixer, cream the cream cheese and butter until smooth. 


Beat in the egg. 



Then beat in the vanilla extract. 




(Oops I forgot to take photos of the rest of the steps.)


Beat in the cake mix. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours to firm up so that you can roll the batter into balls. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Roll the chilled batter into tablespoon sized balls and then roll them in confectioner’s sugar. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet with parchment paper, 2 inches apart. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes. The cookies will remain soft and gooey. 



Cool completely and sprinkle with more confectioners’ sugar, if desired.  I think these cookies are better the second day. If you are going to store them please make sure you do so in an air tight container. 


Enjoy! 

Pin It

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...