September 30, 2012

Life: 1st Trimester {Weeks 1 through 12}

Week 1-4

When I found out I was pregnant I was ecstatic and I couldn't wait for our first prenatal visit. The hubby and I headed out to my first appointment at an Orange County Kaiser Hospital.  My first experience with OC Kaiser was not a very positive one especially since I was supposed to see a midwife and instead they sent in a student. The student was very polite but I didn’t feel comfortable having a Transvaginal ultrasound done by her.  After 15 minutes without seeing anything in my ultrasound the student finally called in the midwife to assist her.  At that point I was a tad irritated and very emotional because they couldn’t find anything. The midwife said I was probably too early in the pregnancy to detect anything so she ordered more blood work to be drawn and sent us on our way.   I was an emotional wreck when we left the office but I  have an amazing hubby that knew exactly how to cheer me up.  The results for my HCG were 2980, which meant that they had more than doubled in a week.  This meant that I was definitely pregnant and that the doctor’s estimates were about a week off.

Week 5

I still can't believe we agreed to go back to that midwife once again for the following appointment. This time the midwife was annoyed with us because we told the receptionist we did not want to see the student again.  The midwife rushed our appointment but before she did that she said several things that made me upset. We left that appointment very upset and I decided never to go back to that specific Kaiser.

On the bright side here's what I look like at 5 weeks:


Week 6:

I had another appointment at a Kaiser closer to our apartment and this time I had a great experience.  I saw a new OB/GYN and she was able to see our little cupcake right away unlike the midwife. The greatest thing at this appointment was seeing our little cupcake's heartbeat. The worst thing that happened this week is the crazy nausea that I started developing.

Week 8:

We had an ultrasound this week to pin point how far along I really was.  The hubby got to see our little cupcake's heartbeat.   We got a few printouts and I can't believe how much I already love this little tiny thing growing inside me. I haven't been able to keep anything down and I feel horrible. At least we finally know how far along I really am and I finally have a fabulous OB/GYN.

Week 9:

The hubby went on a business trip this week but before he left we went to tell my parents.  My mom reacted just the way I had pictured it in my head.  They are both extremely excited but they have been sworn to secrecy until we reach the second trimester.  We told my parents because my mom was going to spend the week with my while the hubby was away on business.  My mom didn't realize how much I had been suffering until she saw how sick I really get.  My cousin graduated this week and I had to hide from everyone every time I felt like vomiting.  I spend my birthday being sick and the hubby said he'll make it up to my next year.

Week 10:

I couldn't handle the nausea anymore and I finally got a prescription for some medication.  Later on I'll write a separate post on all the things I did before I got to this step.

Week 11:

I had another appointment this week and I got to hear our little cupcake's heartbeat.  The heartbeat sounded like a little washing machine inside me.  The doctors said the baby cooperated very nicely and the heartbeat was measuring at 180 bpm. This week was extremely hard because it's 4th of July week and I can't leave the apartment without vomiting.  Since we haven't told our family I had to tell them we couldn't go to celebrate with them because I had a migraine.  We ended up celebrating at our apartment by ourselves and walking outside to see the fireworks the neighbors had purchased.  I couldn't spend much time outside because after a few minutes I started feeling queasy. We finally told a few of our friends at a monthly dinner we had and they too have been sworn to secrecy.

Week 12:

My family left on vacation this week to Mexico but before they left I made sure my mom didn't tell a soul.  I'm still feeling sick but it has slowly been getting better thanks to the medication. I finally saw one of my best friends in person and I told her I was pregnant.  The hubby and I went on a date this weekend but I had a pretty miserable time because I'm still feeling sick. Pregnancy hasn't been very kind to me.

I wish I had a picture for every week of my pregnancy but it was the last thing on my mind when I was feeling horrible.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...