February 19, 2010

The Man Catcher...(Cake 1)

The name of this cake was funny to me but not so much to my hubby who said, "Why do you need to catch a man?"  To which I replied, "I don't need to catch one I need to know how to keep one." So I told him I would rename it if I could to the man keeper.



When I began reading through this recipe I realized that by taking the challenge on of baking all these recipes one every week I was going to find myself purchasing ingredients I had never used before.

Things new to me:
Lemon extract
Orange extract
Tube Pan

What I learned from this recipe:
Patience
How to cream/mix butter/ ingredients properly

I'm not kidding I realized that I was the type of person Melissa Gray jokes about that keeps opening the oven door thinking that is going to speed the baking process along. I also learned along with my patience that taking the time to cream the butter makes a lot of sense.  I think that if I owned a stand mixer my task would have been easier but since I'm the frugal type and I don't have one of those fancy Kitchen Aid mixers I just used my hand held one.



Okay so I began to prepare for the big day when I was going to start baking I had to decide who my first victims (oops I meant to say tasters) were going to be. Since my hubby and I have game night with some of our friends on Wednesday nights I decided to take it along to share with them.

So after I baked my heart away what did the boys have to say...




...delicious. Well they really didn't say anything but I didn't have any leftovers to bring home so I'll take that as delicious. My hubby did say that he loved how sweet and citricy (is that a word) it was.


So the verdict was that the Man Catcher-Sour Cream Pound Cake was a big hit!  I had never used sour cream in my baking experience or had ever made a pound cake but I did both and it was amazing.

You can find the recipe here

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...